Specialty Recycling and Disposal Directory

Disposal options for items not accepted in household bins

Page Quick Links


If you have asbestos on your property, EPA Victoria recommends you consult a professional asbestos removalist. You should ensure they have a WorkCover licence. To find a licenced asbestos removalist or asbestos removal site, visit:

Batteries (Household)

There are a wide range of battery types, many of which contain toxic metals such as cadmium, mercury and lead. Others contain valuable materials like magnesium and zinc. Used batteries are a hazardous waste and should not be placed in the garbage bin. This includes batteries in laptops, mobile phones, power tools and cameras.

There is no national battery recycling program in Australia, but there are a number of collection and/or recycling programs accepting various types of batteries.

Households can take small amounts of household batteries to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs for free.

BBQ Gas Bottles

BBQ gas bottles (9 kilograms only) can be dropped off at the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Gas bottle exchange and refill programs are also available:

Some manufacturers accept other types of used gas bottles. Contact the manufacturer to check your type of gas bottle can be returned.


Donating a bike is a great way of helping the community and promoting sustainability.

Bicycles for Humanity
Bicycles for Humanity is a worldwide, grass roots, volunteer run organisation which helps alleviate poverty through sustainable bicycle transport. Drop off your working or easily fixable bike to any Bicycle Super Store.

The Bikery 
The Bikery is the bike hub of Monash University’s Clayton Campus. Volunteers recondition donated and rescued bikes to sell as cheaply as possible to Monash staff and students as a sustainable form of transport, while diverting waste from landfill.

If you can’t donate your bicycle you can dispose of it at the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Car Batteries

Used car batteries, as well as other used lead-acid batteries, are hazardous waste and should be disposed of through an appropriate specialty recycling program. Lead-acid batteries also include batteries in motorcycles, boats, emergency lighting and air conditioners.

Car batteries can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Some other transfer centres, landfill sites, service stations and automotive workshops also accept lead-acid batteries for recycling.


Over 90% of the plastics and metals in cameras, batteries and accessories can be recovered and used as raw materials to make new products such as stainless steel, plastic park benches, plastic fence posts, garden edging, tree spikes and much, much more. Cameras may also contain small amounts of potentially hazardous substances which, if not handled correctly at the end of their lives, can harm the environment.

You can take your camera for recycling to:

Digital cameras can also be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.


All brands of inkjet cartridges, toner cartridges and toner bottles can be recycled through the Cartridges 4 Planet Ark program. They can be dropped off at participating Office Works, Australia Post, Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, and The Good Guys stores, and Office National and Office Product Depot outlets.

For more information visit:

Cardboard and Paper 

Larger quantities

Frankston City residents can recycle household cardboard and paper through their yellow-lidded recycling bin.

The Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre also accepts cardboard and paper from residents and businesses for free. For large quantities, it is recommended you call ahead on 1300 322 322.

CDs, DVDs, VHS, Floppy Discs and Cassette Tapes

Households can take small amounts of CDs, DVDs, VHS, floppy discs and cassette tapes to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs for free.

Charity Shops

Donating clothes and furniture in good condition is a great way to help out the community. Visit the National Association of Charitable Recycling Organisations (NACRO) website or your phone directory to find a charity shop near you.

Please call in advance to confirm they accept the items you want to donate.

Chemicals (Household)

Household chemicals, for example cleaners, insect sprays and cooking oil, can be disposed of through the Detox your Home mobile collection service, held at 31 locations across Victoria each year. Permanent Detox your Home collection sites do not accept household chemicals.

Detox Your Home Mobile Collection Service

There are nearby Detox your Home mobile collections held each year. Upcoming collections include:

  • Dandenong - Saturday 17 June 8am-4pm  
  • Skye - February 2018 (to be confirmed)  
  • Cheltenham - March 2018 (to be confirmed)

Residents must register to attend this collection. Register Online.

For other Detox your Home mobile collections, visit:

Cooking Oil

Small amounts of household cooking oil can be wiped up with absorbent paper / newspaper and placed in your general waste bin. Small amounts can also be disposed of in garden compost bins, or poured on areas of dirt where it can be absorbed (NOT down the drain or into the gutter).

Cooking oils can be filtered and recycled into products such as biofuel, cosmetics and stock feed.

Residents can dispose of cooking oil and other household chemicals through the Detox your Home mobile chemical collection service.

Donate, Sell or Give Away

Visit the Charity Shops section.

Items can also be sold or given away online through sites such as E-bay, Gumtree, Ziilch and Freecycle. Garage sales can also be a great way to sell household goods and clothing.

E-Waste - TVs, Computers, Keyboards

E-waste includes any item with a power cord or charging cable, such as TV’s, computers, printers, irons and electric power tools. Electronic equipment is often made from hundreds of different materials. Many of these materials are inherently valuable (such as gold and platinum), and many are non-renewable. If they can be extracted, they can be reused in manufacturing again.

E-waste can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Eye Glasses

You can donate your old, disused eye glasses for reuse through One Sight. Glasses are cleaned and the prescriptions are measured and then taken to clinics in developing countries, where they are hand-delivered to people in need.

Donate small quantities of eyewear to a participating LensCrafters, Sears Optical or Pearle Vision locations, or send large quantities directly to the eyewear processing centre in Ohio.

For more information visit:

Fresh Food Donations for Businesses

SecondBite provides access to fresh, nutritious food for people in need across Australia. They do this by rescuing and redistributing surplus fresh food, building community capacity in food skills and nutrition and advocating for an end to food insecurity.

SecondBite accept bulk donations of food (minimum 50kg). Businesses can contact SecondBite at their Seaford Hub on 9708 2496.


If your furniture is in good condition, you may be able to donate it to a second hand shop, or post an advert online to sell, swap or give it away.

Household furniture and white goods can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Visit the Charity Shops section for donation options.

Green Waste

Council provides an optional “user pays” fortnightly collection for garden green organics. For information about this service visit:

If you have excess green waste that won’t fit in your green waste bin, you can take it to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge. For large quantities, it is recommended you call ahead on 1300 322 322.

Council also offers a user pays at-call hard waste and bundled green waste service. For information about this service visit:

Light Globes and Tubes

Compact fluorescent lamps and fluorescent tubes contain trace amounts of mercury.  This mercury can be recovered and recycled for further use, to keep it out of landfill.

Recycling fluorescent household globes can recover other valuable materials like ceramic, glass, aluminium and phosphor, which are then used to make products like fertilizer, aluminium cans and insulation batts.

Households can take small amounts of light globes and fluorescent lamps and tubes to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs for free.


Steel springs, foam wadding and timber from mattresses and bases can all be recycled.

Mattresses can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.


The Return Unwanted Medicines project is a national scheme for out-of-date and unwanted medicines. Take your out-of-date and unwanted medicines to any pharmacy in Australia. All pharmacies are equipped to accept all medicines.

  • Return Unwanted Medicines
    1300 650 835

The returned medicines are disposed of safely. They are in no way reused or recycled. Medicines should not be disposed of in your waste bin or down the sink or toilet, as this is an environmental health hazard.

Mobile Phones and Accessories (Chargers, Headphones, MP3 Players and iPods)

Over 90% of the materials in mobile phones can be recovered to make new products. The gold, silver, copper, nickel, cadmium and plastics in the phones can be turned into jewellery, stainless steel, batteries and plastic fence posts and pallets.

Households can take small amounts of mobile phones and accessories such as chargers, headphones, MP3 players and iPhones to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre. Alternatively, mobile phones and their batteries, chargers and accessories can also be recycled through Mobile Muster (drop-off and postal options available) or Zoos Victoria.

Motor Oil

Motor oil is a valuable and finite resource. Each year, more than 500 million litres of motor oil is sold in Australia. Used oil is hazardous. Lubricating oil picks up a variety of hazardous contaminants when used in engines and transmissions including lead, dioxins, benzene and polycyclic aromatics. Leaving used oil sitting in your garage is a potential fire hazard.

Small amounts of motor oil can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for safe disposal. This is free for Frankston City residents.

Needles and Syringes

The SHARPS (Southern Hepatitis/HIV/AIDS Resource and Prevention Service) program is a needle syringe program. It provides clean equipment, counselling and referrals. Primary, mobile and secondary needle syringe programs are available.

For more information, visit:

SHARPS will also collect used or discarded syringes found in public areas.

  • Community Syringe Disposal Service
    Hotline. 0417 345 750

24 hour response time, please leave your name and telephone number.

Frankston City Council locations with SHARPS Containers

Empty sharps containers are available and full sharps containers can be disposed at the following Council locations. Sharps containers must comply with the Australian Standard (colour coded, clearly labelled and puncture resistant).

  • Frankston City Council Civic Centre
    30 Davey Street
    P. 1300 322 322
  • Langwarrin Customer Service Centre
    The Gateway Shopping Centre
    P. 1300 322 322
  • Seaford Customer Service Centre
    Seaford Community Centre
    1/6 Broughton Street
    P. 1300 322 322


Most types of paint can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre (a Paintback collection site) for free.

For household/trade paint types and quantities accepted, visit the Paintback website:

For other household paint disposal options, visit the Sustainability Victoria website:

Paint tins that are both empty and dry can be recycled through your yellow-lidded recycling bin.


Polystyrene cannot be recycled in your yellow lidded recycling bin.

Household quantities (small amounts) of polystyrene, such as clean white expanded polystyrene foam including appliance packaging and white polystyrene fruit and vegetable boxes, can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

However, polystyrene cannot currently be recycled through FRRRC. For locations that accept polystyrene for recycling, visit the Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery website:

Scrap Metal

Scrap metal can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Soft Plastic (including Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps and Plastics Films)

Soft plastics are plastics that you can scrunch up into a ball and that generally don’t hold their shape. For example, if you were to pour water into a plastic item, would it expand to hold the water (like a plastic bag) or would it hold the water within its own shape (like a margarine container)? If it holds its own shape, it's hard plastic, and can go in the recycling bin. If it doesn't hold its shape, it's soft plastic and cannot be recycled through the kerbside recycling system.

Soft plastics include bread, pasta and rice bags, bubble wrap, cereal box liners, chocolate and snack bar wrappers, fresh produce bags, newspaper wrap, plastic film from grocery items such as nappies and toilet paper, plastic bags (NO biodegradable or degradable bags please), plastic sachets, and polypropylene shopping bags.

There are soft plastics collection bins outside most major supermarkets. For a full list of accepted soft plastic items, and to find a soft plastic collection bin near you, visit:

Residents can also drop off small amounts of soft plastics at one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs

Specialty Recycling Hub

The Specialty Recycling Hub accepts small amounts of the following items from local residents for recycling:

  • CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, floppy discs and cassette tapes  
  • Household batteries (NOT car batteries)  
  • Light globes and tubes (all kinds)  
  • X-Rays

The Specialty Recycling Hub is located at:

  • Frankston Civic Centre
    30 Davey Street
    P. 1300 322 322
    Open: Monday to Friday 8:30am-5pm  


Timber can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.


Most tyre service centres and mechanics will recycle your old tyres, check with your mechanic or service centre.

Visit Council’s Business Directory or your local phone directory to find a mechanic or service centre near you.

Tyres can also be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

White Goods

White goods, such as fridges and dishwashers can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

The Brotherhood of St. Laurence offers a free pick up service for disused fridges for repair, retrofit and recycling.


Households can take small amounts of x-rays to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs for free.

Please remove any personal details (e.g. name, age) from the x-ray to protect your privacy.

Please Note

This information has been provided by Council as a guide only and should not be viewed as an endorsement or recommendation of an independent service provider. Please contact the service provider to confirm details, or look in the local phone directory or Council’s Business Directory to find other alternatives. Please contact Council if you know of other local organisations that provide recycling or reuse services.

For information on what can and can’t be accepted in the kerbside recycling bin, visit our Bin Information page.

Contact Us

Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
Frankston 3199
P. 1300 322 322
E. info@frankston.vic.gov.au

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.

Back to top