Specialty Recycling and Disposal Directory

Find out how to dispose of items that aren't accepted in household bins.

On this page:


Asbestos was commonly used in many building materials between the 1940’s and late 1980’s because of its durability, fire resistance and insulating properties. Asbestos cement products may be present in any buildings which were constructed up until the late 1980s, in materials such as cement sheeting, cement roofing, vinyl floor tiles and wall lining.

The presence of asbestos is very difficult to determine with the naked eye. Generally the presence of asbestos in home building materials does not pose a risk to health unless the material is broken, deteriorating, or disturbed in such a way that dust containing asbestos fibers is produced.

Asbestos and your health

We are all exposed to low levels of asbestos in the air we breathe every day. Ambient or background air usually contains between 10 and 200 fibres every 1,000 litres (or cubic metre) of air. Whether a person goes on to develop an asbestos-related disease depends on a range of circumstances or exposure factors; for example, the level and duration of exposure, length of time since first exposure, the fibre type, and concurrent exposure to tobacco smoke and other carcinogens.

Friable asbestos

Friable asbestos products are generally quite loose and, when dry, can be crumbled into fine material or dust with very light pressure, such as crushing with your hand. These products usually contain high levels of asbestos (up to 100% in some cases), which is loosely held in the product so that the asbestos fibres are easily released into the air.

Friable asbestos products have been commonly used in commercial and industrial settings since the late 1800’s for fireproofing, soundproofing and insulation. Some friable products were also used in houses and may still be found in houses built before 1990.

Examples of friable asbestos-containing material may include:

  • Pipe lagging

  • Boiler insulation

  • Fire retardant material on steel work

  • Sprayed insulation

Bonded (non-friable) asbestos

Bonded asbestos products are made from a bonding compound (such as cement) mixed with a small proportion (usually less than 15%) of asbestos. Bonded asbestos products are solid, rigid and non-friable, and cannot be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to powder by hand pressure. The asbestos fibres are tightly bound in the product and are not normally released into the air.

Common names for bonded asbestos products are “fibro”, asbestos cement and AC sheeting.

When they’re in good condition, bonded asbestos products do not normally release any asbestos fibres into the air. They are considered very low risk for people who are in contact with them, as long as appropriate safety precautions are used when they are disturbed.

Example of non-friable asbestos containing material may include:

  • Asbestos cement sheet

  • Asbestos cement moulded products

  • Bitumen-based water proofing

  • Vinyl floor tiles

The Asbestos – A guide for Householders and the General Public (PDF) contains further information about asbestos.

Removal of Asbestos from Private Residential Properties

A householder may legally remove small amounts of asbestos from their own property.
For up to date information about safely removing asbestos, or to find a licensed asbestos removalist, please visit

Rye Landfill & Resource Recovery Centre will accept up to ½ cubic metre of asbestos.
Must be double wrapped in plastic, sealed and labelled.

280 Truemans Road, RYE
PH 1300 850 600 or 5950 1000

Asbestos in a rented property
Your first point of call is to contact the Property Manager at your Real Estate Agency to discuss the issue.

Useful Websites
The following websites contain additional information on the safe handling and disposal of materials containing asbestos:


Batteries (Household)

There are a wide range of battery types, many of which contain toxic metals such as cadmium, mercury and lead. Others contain valuable materials like magnesium and zinc. Used batteries are a hazardous waste and should not be placed in the garbage bin. This includes batteries in laptops, mobile phones, power tools and cameras.

Households can take small amounts of household batteries to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or Council’s Specialty Recycling Hub for free.

Free household battery recycling is available via the Australian Battery Recycling Initiative, including through:

Visit the Car Batteries section for information on Car Batteries.

BBQ Gas Bottles

BBQ gas bottles (9 kilograms only) can be dropped off at the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Gas bottle exchange and refill programs are also available:

Some manufacturers accept other types of used gas bottles. Contact the manufacturer to check your type of gas bottle can be returned.


Donating a bike is a great way of helping the community and promoting sustainability.

Bicycles for Humanity is a grass roots, volunteer run organisation which helps alleviate poverty through sustainable bicycle transport. Drop off your working or easily fixable bike to any Bicycle Super Store in Victoria.

The Give Now register lists other organisations that also accept bike donations:

If you can’t donate your bicycle you can dispose of it at the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Bricks, Clean Concrete and Clean Soil

Bricks, clean concrete and clean soil can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Car Batteries

Used car batteries, as well as other used lead-acid batteries, are hazardous waste and should be disposed of through an appropriate specialty recycling program. Lead-acid batteries also include batteries in motorcycles, boats, emergency lighting and air conditioners.

Car batteries can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Some other transfer centres, landfill sites, service stations and automotive workshops also accept lead-acid batteries for recycling.


Cameras can contain small amounts of potentially hazardous substances which, if not handled correctly at the end of their lives, can harm the environment.

Working cameras can be dropped off for reuse at:

Digital cameras can also be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

For other options, visit the Donate, Sell or Give Away section.

Cardboard and Paper 

Larger quantities

Frankston City residents can recycle household cardboard and paper through their yellow-lidded recycling bin.

The Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre also accepts cardboard and paper from residents and businesses for free. For large quantities, it is recommended you call ahead on 1300 322 322.


Carpet and carpet underlay can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Frankston City residents can also dispose of carpet and carpet underlay through the hard waste collection service provided by Council.


All brands of inkjet cartridges, toner cartridges and toner bottles can be recycled through the Cartridges 4 Planet Ark program. They can be dropped off at participating Officeworks, Australia Post, Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi and The Good Guys stores as well as Office National and Office Product Depot outlets.

For more information visit:

CDs, DVDs, VHS, Floppy Discs and Cassette Tapes

Households can take small amounts of CDs, DVDs, VHS, floppy discs and cassette tapes to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or Council’s Specialty Recycling Hub for free.

Charity Shops

Visit the Donate, Sell or Give Away section.

Chemicals (Household)

Common household chemicals, such as cooking oil, insect sprays and solvents can be disposed of through the Detox your Home mobile collection service, held at 31 locations across Victoria each year. Permanent Detox your Home collection sites do not accept household chemicals.

Detox Your Home Mobile Collection Service

There are nearby Detox your Home mobile collection events held each year. Upcoming collections include:

  • Skye - Saturday 3 February 2018  
  • Braeside - Saturday 3 March 2018
  • Dandenong - Saturday 16 June 2018

To register (mandatory) and for other Detox your Home mobile collection events, visit:


Visit the Donate, Sell or Give Away section.

Cooking Oil

Small amounts of household cooking oil can either be wiped up with absorbent paper / newspaper and placed in your garbage / compost bin, or poured on areas of dirt where it can be absorbed (NOT down the drain).

Cooking oils can be filtered and recycled into products such as biofuel, cosmetics and stock feed.

Residents can dispose of cooking oil and other household chemicals through the Detox your Home mobile chemical collection service.

Donate, Sell or Give Away

There are several ways to donate, sell or give away unwanted goods:

  • Charities and op shops (e.g. clothing, furniture and other household goods in good condition). To find a charity or op shop near you, visit OpShop.org or your phone directory
  • Ebay
  • Freecycle
  • Gumtree
  • Ziilch

Please call charity shops in advance to check they accept the items you wish to donate.

E-Waste - TVs, Computers, Keyboards

E-waste includes any item with a power cord or charging cable, such as TV’s, computers, printers, irons and electric power tools. Electronic equipment is often made from hundreds of different materials. Many of these materials are inherently valuable (such as gold and platinum), and many are non-renewable. If they can be extracted, they can be reused in manufacturing again.

E-waste can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Alternatively, computer and computer accessories (e.g. printers, keyboards, printers and scanners) can also be dropped off for recycling at:

Some manufacturers offer a take-back scheme for unwanted e-waste.

Please remove any personal details (e.g. name, age) from computers to protect your privacy.

Eye Glasses

Some optometrists offer a frame repair service and accept donations of eye glasses for distribution and reuse. Search your phone directory to find an optometrist near you.


There are a number of organisations that redistribute safe food to community food programs for people in need:

  • Secondbite (minimum 50kg)
  • Foodbank (donations from farmers, manufacturers and retailers)
  • FairShare (donations from wholesalers, farmers, supermarkets, manufacturers, importers and other businesses)
  • Food Finder (for small, ad hoc donations)

Most perishable foods can be turned into nourishment for your garden through composting, worm farming or use of a bokashi bucket.


Household furniture can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Household furniture cannot currently be recycled through FRRRC. However furniture in good condition can sometimes be donated, sold or given away:

Green Waste

Council provides an optional “user pays” fortnightly collection for garden green organics. For information about this Green Waste service visit:

If you have excess green waste that won’t fit in your green waste bin, you can take it to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge. For large quantities, it is recommended you call ahead on 1300 322 322.

Council also offers a user pays at-call hard waste and bundled green waste service. For information about this service visit:

Light Globes and Tubes

Compact fluorescent lamps and fluorescent tubes contain trace amounts of mercury.  This mercury can be recovered and recycled for further use, to keep it out of landfill.

Recycling fluorescent household globes can also recover other valuable materials like glass, aluminium and phosphor.

Households can take small amounts of light globes and tubes (all kinds) to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs for free.

For commercial quantities, visit:


Steel springs, foam wadding and timber from mattresses and bases can all be recycled.

Mattresses can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

You can also dispose of mattresses for a charge through Council’s at-call hard waste collection service.


The Return Unwanted Medicines project is a national scheme for out-of-date and unwanted medicines. Take expired and unwanted medicines to any pharmacy in Australia. All pharmacies are equipped to accept all medicines.

The returned medicines are disposed of safely. They are in no way reused or recycled. Medicines should not be disposed of in your waste bin or down the sink or toilet, as this is an environmental health hazard.

Mobile Phones and Accessories (Chargers, Headphones, MP3 Players and iPods)

Over 95% of the materials in mobile phones can be recovered to make new products. For example, some components are recycled into stainless steel products and plastic pallets.

Households can take small amounts of mobile phones and accessories such as chargers, headphones, MP3 players and iPhones to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or Council’s Specialty Recycling Hub for free.

Alternatively, mobile phones and their batteries, chargers and accessories can also be recycled through MobileMuster (drop-off and postal options available) or Zoos Victoria.

Motor Oil

Motor oil is a valuable and finite resource. Used oil is hazardous. Lubricating oil picks up a variety of hazardous contaminants when used in engines and transmissions, including lead, dioxins, benzene and polycyclic aromatics. Leaving used oil sitting in your garage is a potential fire hazard.

Small amounts of motor oil can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for safe disposal. This is free for Frankston City residents (maximum size 20 litre container).

Needles and Syringes

The SHARPS (Southern Hepatitis/HIV/AIDS Referral and Prevention Service) program is a needle syringe program. It provides clean equipment, access to internet and phone (local calls only), advice, referrals, support and information.

For more information, visit:

SHARPS will also collect used or discarded syringes found in public areas.

  • Community Syringe Disposal Service
    Hotline. 0417 345 750
    24 hour response time, please leave your name and telephone number.

Frankston City Council locations with SHARPS Containers

Empty sharps containers are available and full sharps containers can be disposed at the following Council locations:

  • Frankston City Council Civic Centre
    30 Davey Street
    P. 1300 322 322
  • Langwarrin Customer Service Centre
    The Gateway Shopping Centre
    P. 1300 322 322
  • Seaford Customer Service Centre
    Seaford Community Centre
    1/6 Broughton Street
    P. 1300 322 322

Sharps containers must comply with the Australian Standard (colour coded, clearly labelled and puncture resistant).


Most types of paint can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre (a Paintback collection site) for free.

For household/trade paint types and quantities accepted, visit the Paintback website:

For other household paint disposal options, visit the Sustainability Victoria website:

Paint tins that are both empty and dry can be recycled through your yellow-lidded recycling bin.


Polystyrene cannot be recycled in your yellow lidded recycling bin.

Household quantities (small amounts) of expanded polystyrene (EPS), such as polystyrene appliance packaging and white polystyrene fruit and vegetable boxes, can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

However, polystyrene cannot currently be recycled through FRRRC. For locations that accept polystyrene for recycling, visit the Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group website:

Scrap Metal

Scrap metal can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

Smoke Detectors

Small numbers of smoke detectors can be safely disposed of in your household garbage bin, once the batteries have been removed. However when more than ten (10) smoke detectors are collected for bulk disposal, they must be treated as radioactive waste. For more information, visit:

Soft Plastic (including Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps and Plastics Films)

Soft plastics are plastics that you can scrunch up into a ball and that generally don’t hold their shape. For example, if you were to pour water into a plastic item, would it expand to hold the water (like a plastic bag) or would it hold the water within its own shape (like a margarine container)? If it holds its own shape, it's hard plastic, and can go in the recycling bin. If it doesn't hold its shape, it's soft plastic and cannot be recycled through the kerbside recycling system.

Soft plastics include plastic bags, as well as bread, pasta and rice bags, bubble wrap, cereal box liners, chocolate and snack bar wrappers, fresh produce bags, newspaper wrap, plastic film from grocery items such as nappies and toilet paper, plastic sachets and polypropylene shopping bags (i.e. ‘green’ bags).

There are soft plastics collection bins outside most major supermarkets. For a full list of accepted soft plastic items and to find a soft plastic collection bin near you, visit:

  • REDCycle (NO biodegradable or degradable bags please)

Residents can also drop off small amounts of soft plastics at one of Council’s Specialty Recycling Hubs

Specialty Recycling Hub

The Specialty Recycling Hub accepts small amounts of the following items from local residents for recycling:

  • CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, floppy discs and cassette tapes  
  • Household batteries (NOT car batteries)  
  • Light globes and tubes (all kinds)  
  • Mobile phones and accessories
  • X-Rays

The Specialty Recycling Hub is located at:

  • Frankston Civic Centre
    30 Davey Street
    P. 1300 322 322
    Open: Monday to Friday 8:30am-5pm  

Timber (including Wood Pellets)

Timber, including wood pellets, can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

Timber cannot currently be recycled through FRRRC. However it can be dropped off for recycling at Waste Converters for a charge:


Most tyre service centres and mechanics will recycle your old tyres, check with your mechanic or service centre.

Visit Council’s Business Directory or your local phone directory to find a mechanic or service centre near you.

Tyres can also be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for a charge.

White Goods

White goods, such as fridges and dishwashers can be taken to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre for free.

The Brotherhood of St. Laurence offers a free pick up service for no-longer-working fridges and whitegoods, which they then repair and resell or recycle.

For other disposal options for white goods in good condition, visit the Donate, Sell or Give Away section.


Households can take small amounts of X-rays to the Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre or Council’s Specialty Recycling Hub for free.

Please remove any personal details (e.g. name, age) from the x-ray to protect your privacy.

Please Note

This information has been provided by Council as a guide only and should not be viewed as an endorsement or recommendation of an independent service provider. Please contact the service provider to confirm details, or look in the local phone directory or Council’s Business Directory to find other alternatives. Please contact Council if you know of other local organisations that provide recycling or reuse services.

For information on what can and can’t be accepted in the kerbside recycling bin, visit our Bin Information page.

Contact Us

Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
Frankston 3199
P. 1300 322 322
E. info@frankston.vic.gov.au

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.

Back to top